Infant car seats, toddler car seats, convertible car seats and child booster seats are manufactured by over twenty companies. The most popular of these companies are Britax, Peg Perego, Graco, Evenflo, BabyTrend, Safety 1st, Chicco, Compass and Cosco. Child car seat prices range from $50 to over $300 depending on the manufacturer and feature set. Keep in mind that expensive doesn't always mean better. Some of the cheaper seats perform just as well as the top models.
Let's take a look at some of the standard features found in child car seats:
- 1) 5 Point Safety Harness - This is the most secure belt system a seat can have. If the car seat you are considering does not have a 5 point safety harness, I advise you look elsewhere.
- 2) EPS Energy absorbing liner - Most new car seats come with this type of liner. Upon impact, the foam linear absorbs and distributes the energy which decreases the likelihood of seat failure.
- 3) LATCH System - LATCH stands for Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children. It's tunnel car washing machine an easy and safe seat anchoring system that is built into all new automobiles.
- 4) Adjustable Seat Levels - This allows the parent to adjust the seat positioning. The seat can be set to a reclining or vertical position. Seat positioning usually depends upon the size and age of your child.
- 5) Weight Restrictions - Recommended Child Weight is usually between 5lbs and 40lbs.
- 6) Rear Facing and Forward Facing - Infant car seats are always rear facing. Convertible seats are rear and forward facing. Booster seats are always forward facing.
- 7) Removable Padded Fabric - Great feature to have! You will definitely throw the cover into the washing machine multiple times during the life of the car seat. Kids have a knack of making a mess!